ⓘ Swing Door (train)
Swing Door trains, commonly known as Dogboxes or Doggies ", were wooden-bodied electric multiple unit trains that operated on the suburban railway network of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Swing Door cars had outward-opening doors. They were reasonably narrow, to ensure that two passing trains could not foul each other if doors were accidentally left open. At certain locations clearances were tight and there are stories of Swing Door cars losing doors that were not closed. The fleet could be seen running in any arrangement, from one car using a double-ended M car, up to seven cars.
The Swing Door trains were originally 13.72-metre long 45 ft 0 in and 15.28-metre long 50 ft 2 in steam-hauled bogie passenger cars, the majority of which had been built between 1887 and 1893. When converted to electric traction between 1917 and 1924, the cars were extended by two compartments to a total length of 17.4 metres 57 ft 1 in, and then fitted onto new under-frames and bogies. The conversion process was suddenly halted in 1924, with partially-converted cars being patched up and returned to service with their original codes and numbers.
Converted Swing Door cars originally entered service with class codes such as AT, BCM, and ABCD, indicating both class and type. In 1921, that was largely simplified to M Motor car, T Trailer car and D Driving trailer, the trailers being first class and motor cars second class, with some exceptions.
The maximum size of the Swing Door train fleet was:
- 144 M motor cars, numbered 1-164M, with gaps but including
- First class motor cars 1, 8, 15, 46, 65, 78AM re-coded M after 1958
- Double-ended composite motor cars 155-159, 162-164ABM; 157-159, 162-164 were later converted to Parcel Vans 10-15CM
- 112 T First class and Second class BT trailers, numbered 1-111, 126T or BT
- 32 D driving trailers, numbered 1-32D
3.1. Conversions for electrification M
It had been intended to convert 164 locomotive-hauled carriages, including First class and Second class cars - with and without guards vans, as well as composite cars, to M Motor cars. When the conversion program was terminated, only 144 had been completed, leaving 20 gaps
When 113M was painted into the new livery, the destination board was altered to read "Petronius 210", as staff apparently thought that the new livery was an "illusion of progress".
Both vehicles have been preserved and are stored at Newport Workshops awaiting restoration.
3.2. Conversions for electrification Driving trailers – ACD, BCD, D
As part of the swing-door conversion project, a fleet of driving-trailer carriages were constructed.
A total of 32 carriages were eventually built to this type of design. All weighed 26t 10cwt, with capacity for 30 smoking passengers and either 40 or 50 non-smoking passengers. Externally, all carriages were 8’6” wide, and length-wise numbers 1-19 and 24-27D were 59’9” over body, 61’8” over buffers, while 20-23 and 28-32D were 9¾” shorter in both dimensions. The first group of longer cars had their bogies spaced at 45’6½” and the second long group at 43’3½”. All the shorter cars had bogies spaced at 40’0”.
These had seven or eight compartments, with a van on the end as a guard’s compartment as well as a small area reserved for the driver. The drivers’ compartment took the first 2’10½” and about half the width of the carriage, with the guard’s elevated seat directly opposite. The van measured 5’3¾” in the vast majority of D cars, exceptions being 14-16 6’3¼”, 20-21 and 23 5’6 15/16” and 31-32 5’9½”.
Passenger compartments varied in length and number. Each was rated for ten passengers, five on each bench, but the width of any given compartment could be anywhere from 5’9¼” to 7’3⅞”, with up to three sizes in any given vehicle.
As of 1915 there were 32 carriages destined to later become D type driving trailers. These were AC cars 5, 8, 10, 12, 17, 28, 29, 32, 34, 39, 52, 63, 70 and 139-143; ABC cars 17-20 and BC cars 6-7, 12, 29-30, 32, 36 and 39-41.
Between 1919-1921, all the AC First-class cars listed became ACD, first-class driving trailers, except Nos. 63 and 70; all BC Second-class cars listed bar 12BC became BCD, and none of the ABC cars went to a classed electric carriage. By 1924, all thirty-two carriages had become first-class D cars.
All the ex-AC types had seven compartments except 63 and 70; those and the ex-ABC and BC cars had eight compartments. In all cases, three compartments were reserved for smoking passengers and the rest reserved for non-smoking.
The first swing-door D car withdrawn was 21D in 1951. 26D and 9D followed in 1956 and 1957 respectively, and withdrawals of the Swingdoor fleet accelerated from there. 18D and 22D were removed from service in 1962, and the next year took 4, 8, 10, 13, 20, 23 and 30. 3 and 5 in 1964, 7 and 11 in 1965, 14D in 1966 and 28D in 1967, then a short reprieve.
The final withdrawals were 1-2, 6, 15-17, 19, 25, 27 and 31-32 in 1973 and 12 and 29D in 1974.
24D stayed on register until 1979, when it was formally withdrawn for preservation. In 1981 the car was involved in a runaway and sustained damage, but was later repaired.
32D was stored at Newport for a number of years, providing a useful source of spare parts for the restoration of 12BT and 24D; it was scrapped in 2008. This car retained the wooden headstocks with which it was built, which would have made operational restoration difficult.
3.3. Conversions for electrification Trailers – AT, BT, T
This group encompasses one hundred and fifteen carriages, at different stages.
As of 1910, the bogie passenger compartment fleet consisted of a range of A, AB, and B type carriages of 45 ft and 50 ft lengths. These were respectively of the first, composite and second class, with capacities around 70 passengers each. Most of the carriages dated from the late 1880s, though 51B and 54B entered service in 1900, 5A and 77B were built in 1902, and 63B and 66B were built in 1904 and 1905 respectively. From approximately 1908 to 1922, the bogie passenger fleet had underframes and bodies extended to increase the capacity of any given train by wasting less space with couplers and buffers. Typically, two compartments were added to one end of each carriage, with a final over-body length of 574½". Originally the majority of these carriages had seven compartments of 63 1/8", with two more added at only 60 11/16" each.
The four exceptions were carriages 49B, 51B, 20AB, and 79AB 108B from 1911. These cars had the same external dimensions, except that 49B and 51B were originally built with eight compartments of 61 5/16" and a ninth added at 611½"; 20AB and 79AB 108B originally had seven compartments - three First class in the centre at 611" each, flanked by two Second class compartments of 59¼" each; later two standard 60 11/16" compartments were added at one end.
By the time carriages were being withdrawn from steam-hauled service for conversion to electric train trailers, the eventually-converted fleet comprised 25 x 1st-class cars in the range 1A to 149A very few consecutive, but the majority numbered 100 or higher, and a further 89 2nd class carriages, most in the number range 1-222 plus 129B and 134B. Those carriages were withdrawn and refitted with electric lighting and control cables for motor communication.
The conversions did not happen immediately, but by 1921 1st class trailers 1AT-12AT and 14AT-18AT, and conversion work was progressing for the fleet of second class trailers 1BT through roughly 100BT. In 1921 it was decided that having class segregation among each class of the suburban fleet was too difficult to manage appropriately, and so the trailers all became first class and the motors all second class. The AT carriages became 1-12T and 14-18T respectively, joined by 13T and 19-26T which had not been converted in time for the AT classification. BT cars became 27T to 111T, plus 126T. 109T, 110T, 111T, and 126T had been the pre-conversion odd vehicles 20AB, 49B, 51B, and 108B.
As Tait-type rollingstock in the 1925-onwards batches entered service, some swing-door T cars were returned to steam passenger service, with modifications for electric running removed and gas lighting re-instated, but extra compartments retained. The first three were 87BT, 94BT and 96BT. It is likely that if they had been converted to T trailer cars, they may have been numbered 113T, 120T and 122T, and it is possible that 126T had not been intended as the highest numbered class member. These three carriages were restored to their 1910 identities of 54, 63 and 66B respectively on 29 January 1924. All three cars had the same alternate compartment arrangement as 110T and 111T. However, in practice the numbers 112T-125T and 127T-199T were never filled with swing-door rollingstock.
In 1929 further carriages were deemed surplus to electric fleet requirements, and carriages 6, 19, 20, 21, 24, 26, 43, 39, 100, and 101T were converted back to B type country carriages, however instead of regaining their former numbers, they became 162-171B, these being the next available after the highest numbered B carriage at the time.
A further re-classification of First class T cars was made in 1940, when a shortage of second class accommodation on the suburban system became evident, the situation being exacerbated by the Second World War and its associated petrol rationing. Fourteen of the swing-door trailer fleet wer re-coded to BT, although keeping their T fleet numbers. This conversion involved the upholstered seats being swapped for second-class wooden benches with cushions; signage on the carriage sides was altered to reflect this. The carriages so treated were 4, 8 and 12 in 1940, followed by 29, 36, 38, 41, 42, 45, 64, 77, 79, 85 and 87 in 1941.
In 1954 some of the cars converted away from electric stock in 1929 returned to the swing-door electric fleet. 162B and 163B returned to their previous identities of 6T and 19T respectively, but 165B, 168B, 171B and 169B became T cars 20, 21, 24, and 26, ignoring their previous identities of 21, 43, 101, and 39T.
In 1958 class designation on the Melbourne suburban system was abolished altogether, meaning that the fourteen BT trailers were no longer any different from the rest of the fleet, all cars receiving upholsters seating as the new standard. However, those cars kept their BT code, and they were joined by seventeen other vehicles to make a total 31 BT trailers. These later conversions and probably the earlier ones as well included a shunters cock being added similar to Tait G cars, to aid shunting Units M-T-BT- onto Blocks M-T-T-M. This resulted in 7-car dogbox trains being formed as M-T-BT+M-T-T-M, releasing the G carriages for other services.
The first two withdrawals of T swingdoor cars were in 1953 and 1956, with 46T and 86T respectively. 26 ex 39, 65, 70 and 166T were withdrawn in 1957, and twelve cars knocked out in 1958. Mass withdrawals started at the end of 1961 with 91T, and an average of ten cars per year were withdrawn from then through to the end of 1974. Some cars were converted to workmens sleepers, but the majority had valuable fittings removed, then were railed out to Allendale on the former North Creswick - Daylesford line, and burned. Withdrawals in this period averaged eight cars per year; fewer in the period 1967-1972 as the Hitachi fleet was designed and introduced into service, but many more either side of that period. The last two in service, withdrawn during the first half of 1974, were 76BT and 80T.
The carriages converted from steam to electric then back to steam but which did not return to electric later on - 54B, 64B, 66B, 164B, 166B, 167B and 170B - were withdrawn largely in line with others of that class.
3.4. Conversions for electrification Set configuration
When the conversion project was halted, the swingdoor fleet equalled 32 Driving Trailers, 112 regular Trailers, 144 Motors including the double-ended ABM and high-powered AM motors). The core of the Tait fleet had also been delivered by 1927.
For the majority of the day, the Blocks would have run most services, with the single motor cars running short distances like Ashburton and Hurstbridge, and the Pairs are known to have been reserved for flatter lines like Newport-Altona, if not worked in pairs M-D+M-D in place of a regular Block. In peak hours on quieter lines, the standard Block was supplemented with a Pair; on the busiest routes, a Unit would be attached. As noted in the Tait article, during the Easter and Christmas seasons, the Tait G cars T-type trailers with gas lighting available as well as electric would be withdrawn from suburban service and utilised as extra capacity on country trains. Double-block sets of M-T-T-M+M-T-T-M were never used in normal service.
3.5. Conversions for electrification 1956 roster
As of 1956, 218 Swing Door carriages were rostered for regular use in conjunction with 584 Tait carriages. At the time 282 Swing Door vehicles were available, after accounting for 18M and 44M converted to Tait, three trailers returned to steam-hauled use, 122M and 123M withdrawn 1956, 156M permanently allocated to Jolimont Yard and 157M in use as a parcels van.
These could be divided into three main groups - St Kilda and Port Melbourne, Box Hill, and Clifton Hill, plus a handful of additional vehicles.
The St Kilda and Port Melbourne group had a total of 37 vehicles allocated, organised as three sets M-D-D-M-D-T-M, two M-D-D-M-D-M and two M-D.
For Box Hill, to Lilydale and Upper Ferntree Gully, 14 sets were operated as M-T-T-M-G-T-M all Swing Door except the Tait G car, plus two sets of ABM-D for Camberwell to Alamein shuttles, totalling 88 vehicles out of 102.
Trains from Princes Bridge through Clifton Hill to Hurstbridge and Thomastown were formed by 13 M-T-T-M-BT-T-M sets plus three more with a Tait G substituting for the BT, and a set of M-Tait G-ABM for the Eltham to Hurstbridge shuttles, adding to 111 out of 115 carriages.
Finally, four AM motors were paired with regular M motors for use on the E trains to Healesville and Stony Point, though two of those sets included a pair of Tait cars, and Altona had two swing-door Motors coupled to Tait driving trailers.
The total roster required 114 of 126 available M cars, 93 of 97 T, 3 of 6 ABM, 4 of 6 AM, 13 of 15 BT but only 19 of 32 D.
General Electric traction equipment was fitted to the trains, of the same type as that in the Tait trains and enabling the trains to be operated in mixed sets using multiple-unit train control.
5. Conversions and alterations
Six Swing Door M cars were converted to parcels vans numbered 10CM to 15CM, and two M cars, 156M and 113M, were modified for use as shunters in the Jolimont Workshops.
From the late 1950s to 1970 the swing door trains were replaced by the Harris EMU trains. The last 7-car Swing Door train was withdrawn in February 1973, with the remainder in smaller formations lasting on the St Kilda and Port Melbourne lines only until the end of that year. A special "farewell" day was run on 26 January 1974. The Parcel vans remained in service until the mid-1980s, and the workshop shunters until the 1990s.
During their long service lives, many Motor cars had their original fabricated bogies replaced by newer cast-frame bogies; these cast-frame bogies from scrapped Swing Door trains were recycled for use under the Y class diesel locomotives built in the 1960s.
Only a handful of cars survived into preservation.
- 19M, 69M, 93M currently with ElecRail at Newport for restoration, 139M: Previously featured at Sandhurst Town near Bendigo; moved to Acacia Gardens caravan park in Mooroopna in 2009.
- 113M: Owned by VicTrack, in the care of Elecrail, stored.
- 156M: Owned by VicTrack, in the care of Elecrail, stored.
- 10CM: Owned by VicTrack, stored. In 1991, operational at Seymour with SLSPG.
- 8M: Australian Railway Historical Society Museum, static.
- 143M: Body privately owned, near Bendigo
- 133M: Body privately owned, at Epsom.
- 78M: Body privately owned, near Bendigo
- 12CM Formerly, now with ElecRail at Newport for spare parts for 93M & 13CM: Mornington Railway, stored.
- 94BT: Body privately owned, at Benalla.
A further four carriages, 107M, 12AT, 24D and 137M, were owned by VicTrack and stored at Newport Workshops West Block under the care of Elecrail. The two motor cars were operational and the trailer car was "a few weeks away from restoration" when at about 1am on 4 March 2015, a fire caused massive damage to that part of the complex. The remains of 12AT and 24D were cut up; the frame, undergear and bogies from 137M have been retained pending assessment, and 107Ms cab is the only section of the body to have survived.
- 32D: Was kept as a source of spare parts at Newport until 2008, when what was left of the vehicle was scrapped.
- This is sometimes the case in trains or airplanes, such as for the door to the toilet, which opens inward. A swing door has special single - action hinges
- entering service in 1952. Tait trains were initially referred to as Sliding Door trains as opposed to the Swing Door trains then in service. From the 1950s
- doors are of various types of buses with doors including conventional doors folding doors sliding plug doors coach doors and inward gliding doors
- island platform. Trains of from one to three cars could fit in this dock platform, but it usually accommodated a single swing - door dogbox car, which
- Swing Time is a 1936 American RKO musical comedy film set mainly in New York City, and starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. It features Helen Broderick
- first generation of electric trains the Swing Door and Tait, the stainless steel Hitachi was the first Melbourne suburban train to feature heated carriages
- Victoria. The old Swing Door train and Tait train EMU s of the 1920s and 1930s, were fitted with R.V.B three chimes, while the Harris train 1950s 60 s
- brakeman traveling in this third car rushed to open the rear door as soon as the train left the rails, and held it open to allow many passengers to escape
- longitudinal seats. The second compartment had swing doors installed, in lieu of compartment 3. External swing - doors were retained in compartment 5, and compartment
- power - closing doors the first such use in Melbourne. However, it was not until the following year that a complete 4 - carriage train was used this way
- 1986 was an American jazz clarinetist and bandleader known as the King of Swing In the mid - 1930s, Goodman led one of the most popular musical groups in
- air - conditioning, tinted windows, and inter - car doors allowing passengers to access all carriages of the train Much of the equipment matched Sydney s Tangara
- Boot Yer Butt The Doors Bootlegs is a four - disc box set released by Rhino Elektra Records for the band the Doors featuring songs that were recorded
- country services. Only Tait trains had these. BT indicated a second class trailer carriage. Only Swing - door and Harris trains had these. Prior to the abolition
- The Ghost Train is a 1941 British mystery thriller film directed by Walter Forde based on the 1923 play of the same name written by Arnold Ridley. Tommy
- known as Death Train and Amok Train although the original working title was simply The Train List of American films of 1974 Beyond the Door AFI Catalog
- with air operated doors The batch consisted of twenty trailer and twenty control trailer cars, which were formed into six - car trains by the addition of
- believe the fewer doors lead to longer platform dwell times compared to the three smaller doors in other Melbourne trains Plug - type doors - hinged outward
- surface mortise swing clear and toilet partition models for new construction and retrofit applications. In 1963 Austin Baer, an MIT - trained engineer, earned
- 11 ft 6.8 in of height. It is a double articulation with 5 door swing plug type doors per side and with 8 - axle rigid body, the carbody is made of BI
- delivery of the Harris trains the first steel suburban trains on the network, enabled the retirement of the oldest of the Swing Door trains Railway lines were
- improve the accuracy of train arrivals at platforms. Drivers will also have the capacity to open individual doors on the trains This configuration makes
- The Advanced Passenger Train APT was a tilting high speed train developed by British Rail during the 1970s and early 1980s, for use on the West Coast
- air operated sliding doors although the guard s door on the earlier trains was a manually operated inward - opening hinged door For evaluation purposes
- The Train of Tomorrow was an American demonstrator train built as a collaboration between General Motors GM and Pullman - Standard between 1945 and 1947
- Soul Train is an American musical variety television program, which aired in syndication from 1971 until 2006. In its 35 - year history, the show primarily
- Jack Swing Pt. 1 2014 Classically Trained 2016 EPs Up All Night 2009 What I Want 2011 Love is Dangerous 2012 Dancing Out 2013 Swing Into It
- the exterior of trains The workshops were assigned a variety of different shunting locomotives for use in the yard: Two Swing Door motor carriages
- was locked out of the cab by the self - closing door Unable to regain control of the vehicle, the train proceeded to collide with stabled Sprinters 7019 7016
- side doors In the 1970s it became clear that the movable roof was only rarely used for palettised goods whilst, for larger, awkward loads, swing - roof
Users also searched:
Door, train, Swing, Swing Door train, swing door (train), melbourne rail rollingstock. swing door (train),
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →